Transmittal Of Interim Report Of The Task Force On Devolved Government
Pursuant to Legal Notice No. 12876 of 25th October 2010 we wish to confirm and hereby do transmit to you the Interim Report.This Interim Report provides proposals covering, inter alia, the following issues, namely:
- Operationalization of the functions of each County, consistent with the Fourth Schedule of the Constitution;
- Restructuring of the Provincial Administration;
- Specifics of the County Financial Management System, including taxes and charges to be imposed by each county;
- Assistance to County governments in building their capacity to govern effectively and provide the services for which they are responsible; and
- Public communication and civic education matters relevant to devolved government.
The Interim Report has also identified various policies, legislative and administrative measures that must be implemented for effective operationalization of devolved government as envisaged by the Constitution of Kenya 2010.
We are embarking immediately on the next phase of our work. This is going to be one of consultation and consensus building, with stakeholders, around the proposals made as well as finalisation of the draft laws and regulations.
We shall also finalise the benchmarking of proposals made in the Interim Report.
We thank you for your continued support
Task Force on Devolved Government in Kenya
Prof. Karega Mutahi, CBS
Permanent Secretary and Chairman, National Steering Committee
Office of the Deputy Prime Minister and Ministry of Local Government
Task Force on Devolved Government
P.O. Box 30004-00100